Moving policy

Northwestern College will provide reimbursement of moving expenses for new full-time faculty/staff members living farther than 50 miles from Northwestern. Moving expenses are limited to the costs of transporting the faculty/staff member and his or her family to the new residence and of moving ordinary and customary household goods and personal effects. This reimbursement is considered a taxable fringe benefit by the IRS. Fringe benefits are subject to federal and state tax withholding, as well as Social Security and Medicare taxes, and will be included on the employee's W-2 form.

Self move

Expenses to be reimbursed include the standard truck rental, including packing supplies, furniture pad rental, fuel for the rental vehicle, and lodging for the faculty/staff member and his or her family. Meal expenses en route are excluded from reimbursement and are the responsibility of the faculty/staff member.

Commercial move

If a family is considering utilizing a commercial mover, the following guidelines apply: 80% of the actual commercial moving charges for household goods and 100% of personal travel expenses will be reimbursed, not to exceed the maximum amount listed below. Personal travel expenses include lodging and fuel for the employee’s personal vehicle. Meal expenses en route are excluded from reimbursement and are the responsibility of the faculty/staff member.

The college has a relationship with some preferred vendors for commercial moves. Information on these preferred vendors can be obtained from the director of human resources.

To ensure maximum reimbursement under this policy, the employee must submit two estimates for all moving expenses prior to the moving date. The college has an agreement with two commercial moving companies and will provide that information to the new faculty or staff member. One of the two required estimates must be from one of these commercial movers. Estimates should be submitted to the director of human resources for approval.

General guidelines for moving costs

Reimbursement of moving expenses will be paid up to the amounts listed in the following chart:

Relocating within the state of Iowa $1,500
Relocating within the Midwest (IL, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD, WI) $3,500
Relocating from any other state or country $5,000

If more than one family member is moving to new employment in the Orange City area and is reimbursed for moving expenses, the college will pay only a portion of the moving expenses. Documentation of the amount agreed upon by each employer must not exceed the total documented cost for the move.

Non-reimbursable items

Several items are above and beyond a typical household move and will not be reimbursed without special permission. Those items include:

  1. Transportation of more than one motor vehicle.
  2. Transportation of pets or other animals.
  3. Moving of recreational vehicles, trailers, boats, snowmobiles or other non-household items.
  4. Transportation or disassembly of special, large or unusual equipment or collections not generally a part of or used in an ordinary household. Equipment, collections, etc., specifically related to or enhancing the profession or discipline of the new employee may be included if specifically agreed upon prior to the move.
  5. Damage to or replacement of articles moved.
  6. Insurance premium over and above the cost of insurance ordinarily provided by the moving firm.
  7. Storage charges except those incurred in transit and for foreign moves.
  8. Moving items from a second residence. Reimbursement will be limited to the cost of the move from the primary residence.
  9. Expenses for packing services at origin or unpacking at destination.
  10. Expenses of buying or selling a home.
  11. Security deposits on an apartment or utilities.

Payment of moving expenses

Moving expenses must be supported by an original itemized receipt from the employee in order to receive reimbursement.

  1. Original itemized receipts for incurred expenses eligible for reimbursement (i.e. truck rental fee, gas receipts for rental truck or personal vehicle, etc.) must be submitted to Northwestern's human resources office.
  2. Request for reimbursement must be made within 30 days of the move.
  3. Reimbursement is to the employee.
  4. An employee will have a maximum of one year to use any moving assistance offered by the college at the time of employment.

One half the reimbursement shall be repaid to Northwestern College if the faculty or staff member, for reasons within his or her control, leaves the college after one year or less of employment.

The college will make individual arrangements for reimbursement of moving costs for sabbatical replacements or special assignments.