Student employment

You can earn money for college by working 5 hours per week (or more) on campus. Students work in almost every campus office and the cafeteria, library, maintenance department and residence halls. Students are not automatically assigned to a job on campus, even if they have a work-study award noted on their FAFSA application. To search and apply for available on-campus employment, students can use their campus login to view on-campus job openings on Handshake, Northwestern's career management platform.

For questions or more information about student employment on campus, contact Sara Zomermaand in the Human Resources Office at or 712-707-7224.

All full- and half-time students can apply for campus jobs advertised through Handshake and specific departments. If your FAFSA application identifies you as a student with financial need, your work-study will be federally funded. If your FAFSA doesn't indicate financial need, your campus employment will be funded by NWC. Pre-employment forms (including a federal W-4, state W-4, and I-9 form) need to be completed before a student can start on-campus employment. Students can access these forms on the MyNWC portal page through the “Workstudy” tab. Additional information about on-campus employment is available there as well. Contact Sara Zomermaand ( or 712-707-7224) with questions or for more information.

Some students choose to work off campus in part-time jobs in the Orange City community. Information about part-time opportunities is posted on Handshake, Northwestern's career management platform. Students may also contact the Compass Center for Career & Calling to learn about more ways to find part-time, off-campus employment.